OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $22 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan and OPTrust Select, a defined benefit plan with over 96,000 members and retirees.
Associate Portfolio Manager Credit Strategies
Capital Markets Group
Posting Date June 18th, 2020
Reporting to the Credit Portfolio Manager, Fixed Income, Funding and Liquidity, the Associate Portfolio Manager will join a dynamic investment team focused on the credit portfolio of the Total Fund. The successful candidate will assist in developing OPTrust’s credit capabilities primarily in the high yield bonds, bank loans, investment grade bonds and mortgage markets. Trade activity will focus on cash instruments, credit market derivatives and TRS structures. In addition, the successful candidate will assist in managing Total Fund credit exposure through credit derivative overlays and will be expected to contribute to the Capital Market Group’s (CMG) return-on-risk targets in the credit value-add program.
The successful candidate will also be expected to provide insight and support for Total Fund credit initiatives through close interactions and collaboration with other desks within CMG, our Private Market investment groups and the Portfolio Construction Group (PCG).
- A key member of the Credit group, accountable for managing OPTrust’s credit program. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Helping to build credit capabilities within bank loans; high yield and investment grade bonds; and, mortgage markets, with initial emphasis on the US; focus will include cash bonds, derivatives and structured products.
- Working with PCG to recommend and execute on a risk efficient capital market’s credit strategy that supports Total Fund investment objectives.
- Implementing a credit research framework that supports this credit strategy.
- Assisting with management of a credit value-add program consistent with the investment objectives of CMG.
- Building internal and external relationships (including supporting external manager relationships managed within CMG) to identify investment opportunities, develop market insights and internalize intelligence and innovative investment approaches that can benefit the Total Fund.
- Providing credit insights and perspectives to other investment teams (i.e., Private Markets Group, Real Estate Group), Investment Risk and to the Total Portfolio Committee (TPC).
- Extensive credit research experience earned over 5 years, and the ability to evaluate the pricing of credit risk at the security level, including corporate/issuer fundamental analysis, covenants, legal structure and industry overview.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience with respect to credit markets and strategies, processes and execution including, but not limited to, cash instruments, structured credit, credit derivatives and TRS structures.
- Strong experience focused on using a macro-based top-down approach to manage the major risk factor exposures of multi-asset portfolios.
- Experience in managing a wide variety of credit related asset classes.
- Innovative thinker with great capability of unpacking complexity and turning conceptual ideas to real world solutions.
- CFA or other designation highly desirable.
- Strong computing skill including Excel/VBA, Python and Matlab.
- Strong experience with portfolio optimization techniques and programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (influencing, presentation, and persuasion).
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a proactive attitude.
- Team oriented with a desire to support initiatives outside of their direct span of control.
- Ability to work well in a culture of high performance, strong collaboration, under pressure to perform with time-sensitive deadlines.
Please submit your application file, including a CV and cover letter, by July 3rd, 2020, via LinkedIn. If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.