OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $22 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan and OPTrust Select, a defined benefit plan with over 96,000 members and retirees.
Enterprise Data Specialist
Posting Date: July 30, 2020
The Enterprise Data Specialist is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the daily data operations and automating new developments of new and existing data systems and processes. The Enterprise Data Specialist manages, maintains and troubleshoots the automated and scheduled processes that produce high quality enterprise data for OPTrust. The incumbent is expected to have a good understanding of ETL tools, databases, coding and the application systems we support.
1. Operations: Ensures daily data processes operate smoothly. This includes scheduled data loads, data transformation and data delivery processes. As part of this responsibility, the position will:
- Troubleshoot errors in processes and independently resolve if minor. Larger issues are escalated with a thorough diagnosis.
- Maintain communication with stakeholders, keeping them informed of issues with their data and time to resolution if issues occur.
- Reach out directly to established data owners if problems are detected in their data and work with them to achieve resolution.
- Be able to independently suggest improvements and make process changes as requested.
- Documents all operational processes with good code documentation practices, process flowcharts and technical word documents.
- Will be expected to be On Call for nightly batch runs and if necessary handle any issues in that arise to ensure we meet our obligations to internal stakeholders
2. Data Governance: Assists in building and maintaining systems and processes that improve enterprise data quality and availability to the organization.
- Maintains the organizations data dictionary. Keeps definitions, ownership, lineage and validation rules of data are catalogued and up to date with relevant stakeholders.
- Develops specifications and scripts that load data into Enterprise Data systems and perform data validation as defined in the data dictionary.
- Participates in the design of data models to solve organizational problems and independently implements models in group’s data systems.
3. Information Delivery: Works closely with Enterprise Data’s internal clients – most notably Investment Risk and Internal Trading – in maintaining and improving their data and reporting processes. In addition, the specialist:
- Creates ETL code or writes scripts (example: Python) that automate process of retrieving, transforming and delivering information to internal clients.
- Participates in the creation of datamarts, APIs and dashboards for internal clients.
- Documents existing and new systems and processes. Ensures documents are kept up to date as changes are made over time.
- Post Secondary Education in a quantitative, engineering or computer science field.
- At least 3 years’ work experience in Financial Services, Risk or Investment Operations. Direct experience in a function supporting Risk operations is preferred.
- Solid understanding of financial markets including trading of derivatives and corporate actions.
- Ability to work with one or more of: ETL Tool, Python, Matlab, R, SQL is essential.
- Experience with statistical analysis and data transformations in these languages is strongly preferred.
- Experience with MSCI RiskManager, Bloomberg, Eagle PACE, Django, D3.js and other BI and reporting tools is a strong plus.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Sound judgment and discretion for dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
Please submit your application file, including a CV and cover letter, by August 13, 2020, via LinkedIn. If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.