OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Senior Analyst, Portfolio Construction
Portfolio Construction, Investment Division
The Senior Analyst, Portfolio Construction will support team needs by conducting investment strategy research and analysis, building investment decision-making tools, and contributing to the overall implementation of OPTrust’s Total Fund portfolio construction mandate. A focus for this role is the preparation of Total Fund strategy materials for the Board of Trustees and senior management, working directly with the Chief Investment Officer. Job responsibilities will be conducted under the guidance of the Senior Portfolio Manager, Portfolio Construction or a designate and may include all aspects of Total Fund investment strategy for OPTrust, including:
- Production of Total Fund strategy materials for the Board of Trustees and senior management
- Macroeconomic and market research and strategy analysis
- Liquid and illiquid asset class strategy research and modelling
- Customized investment benchmark research and development
- Coordinating the implementation of Total Fund risk exposures
Substantial interaction will be required with all other investment teams and Investment Risk Division staff. A high level of oral and written communication will be required.
- Prepare investment strategy materials for the Board of Trustees and senior management.
- Perform analysis to support portfolio construction research and macro strategy development.
- Analyze market and portfolio information to support investment risk analysis and management.
- Explore innovative ways of constructing portfolios and provide inputs to the portfolio construction and asset allocation decision-making process.
- Prepare and deliver research reports and presentations for internal audiences.
- Interact with members of the Investment Division, other OPTrust employees, outside consultants, external managers, and others as the need arises. Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree (or equivalent experience) in economics, finance, quantitative finance, and/or a related field such as business administration or applied mathematics.
- In-depth knowledge of economics, modern portfolio theory, and financial markets. Solid analytical and research skills. CFA/CAIA/FRM designation preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Prior experience working with senior leaders to communicate organizational initiatives and performance strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in the asset management or related field with hands-on knowledge developing investment decision-making and portfolio management tools.
- Ability to analyze financial market data using MS Excel, Bloomberg, and/or relevant third party statistical and analytical software, and willingness to leverage technology and systems. Prior experience with a programming language such as MATLAB, Python, VBA or R is an asset.
- Motivated and able to work independently under the guidance of management staff and manage priorities to meet time-sensitive deadlines. Able to perform effectively in a team-oriented environment.
Please submit your application by February 28, 2020 via LinkedIn. If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.