OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Senior Enterprise Data Specialist
Enterprise Data Group
This position is responsible for supporting the development and administration of processes that ensure OPTrust’s Enterprise data is of high quality and for working with Enterprise units to provide them with data. The Senior Enterprise Data Specialist works with Front Office, Risk, Performance, Compliance and other teams across the organization to develop and understanding of their processes and works with members of the Enterprise Data Group in mapping requirements to data processes. The position develops data processes through working with databases, data automation and data delivery. The Senior Enterprise Data Specialist is expected to maintain in-depth knowledge of enterprise data processes and technology and is expected to seek solutions to complex problems independently before escalating issues.
- Works independently, researches tasks thoroughly and attempts solutions before escalation:
- Maintain strong knowledge of the Enterprise processes he/she supports and the technology that supports them and should be able to recommend and execute solutions to many issues.
- Provides expertise and/or guidance to Data Operations staff to assist in resolving issues.
- Provides feedback to and contributes to development of requirements for data processes.
- Represents Enterprise Data when gathering requirements and other routine interactions with internal clients.
- Data Engineering: The Senior Enterprise Data Specialist’s primary responsibility is to support Enterprise Data Group leadership in developing systems and processes that warehouse and govern OPTrust’s Enterprise data. As part of this role, they will:
- Work with management and internal stakeholders to identify shortcomings in existing ways OPTrust sources, loads, stores and delivers information. These shortcomings can be related to cost, efficiency or inability to fulfill the needs of internal clients.
- Design and present solutions to data shortcomings, including updating or creating database data models, ETL processes and extractors.
- Assist management in evaluating new datasets and aligning them to OPTrust’s systems and processes.
- Independently work with OPTrust’s data systems to implement solutions in a timely manner.
- Perform testing of solutions and existing systems as directed.
- Document existing and new data models and processes and ensures documents are kept up to date.
- Help senior leadership in EDG develop and deliver long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision
- Help create short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall data management roadmap.
- Contribute to the establishment of processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity.
- Contribute to the establishment of methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement.
- Business Analysis: The Senior Enterprise Data Specialist works collaboratively with business partners across the organization to understand their process/data gaps, and develops requirements, creates specifications and delivers solutions. As part of this responsibility, the Senior Enterprise Data Specialist:
- Maintains an understanding of Enterprise functions including front office, middle office, risk, performance, HR, Finance, IT and compliance and the interactions between them.
- Develops technical expertise of the systems (internal and external) that support enterprise functions.
- Collaborates with business partners on new initiatives to ensure effective data management practices are instilled into their processes.
- Assists business partners in finding solutions to sourcing, storing and processing data – ensures that solutions are aligned with existing Enterprise Data Group systems and processes.
- Builds relationships with business partners, vendors and acts as a resource on data issues.
- Database Administration: Assists Manager, Enterprise Data Group and Team Leads in maintaining OPTrust’s data systems and developing new features.
- Develops expertise in OPTrust’s data model, including: Party, Organization, Agreement, security masters, composites, transactions, instrument life cycles, reference data, counterparty data and fund hierarchies.
- Acts as a point of contact for engagements with external vendors on large projects.
- Creates design specs for projects and writes SQL queries, data loaders, data validators and data exporters that support data management processes.
- Acts as the first line of defense in resolving operational issues escalated by more junior staff.
- Post-Secondary Education in a quantitative, engineering or computer science field OR a demonstrated capability in as a Data Engineer/Architect and programming.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in Financial Services, Risk or Investment Operations.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills; ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical people.
- Direct experience in creating source to targeting mappings and document.
- Direct experience in using data quality tools and a full understanding of data quality processes including data profiling.
- Direct experience supporting Reporting teams is preferred.
- Ability to program in one or more of: SSIS, Informatica, Python, Experience with statistical analysis and data transformations in these languages is mandatory.
- Experience working with Eagle PACE, developing APIs and working with BI tools (Power BI Preferred) is a plus.
- Solid understanding of financial markets including trading of derivatives and corporate actions.
- Expert SQL skills and knowledge of database administration.
- An understanding of standard data models including security masters, reference and market data, agreements, organization, party.
- A client-oriented mindset as this role requires supporting and working with other teams across the organization.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Sound judgment and discretion for dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
Please submit your application by February 24, 2020 via LinkedIn If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at email@example.com. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.