OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Senior Policy Advisor
Actuarial Services and Plan Policy
The Senior Policy Advisor is responsible for providing analysis, technical information and advice on matters related to pension policy, legislation and compliance requirements. This role will lead strategic initiatives, develop policy and regulatory submissions.
- Determine the impact on OPTrust’s pension administration processes based on changes to any Federal and Provincial legislation, Transfer Agreements, Plan provisions and other developments in the pension industry.
- Draft Plan Text amendments and work with the Sponsors and OPTrust’s external Advisors to prepare appropriate documentation for approval.
- Recommend and develop policy as required and develop solutions for complex pension processing issues; prepares reports and advice outlining any statutory, financial, legal and/or social impacts on the Plan, its members, sponsors and its administration.
- Act as a technical and educational resource in the interpretation of Plan terms, applicable legislation, regulatory policies and requirements, pension policies and best practices, and complex transfer agreements.
- Participate in the Plan’s administrative adjudication and appeal process by analyzing case files, preparing written case briefings and presenting cases to the Board’s Adjudication Committee.
- Produce briefing notes and reports on pension administration and policy issues and responds to requests for information internally and from Plan Sponsors, government agencies and ministries.
- Prepare and review internal and external communication materials and collaborate with internal clients to ensure all materials are technically accurate and compliant with the Plan provisions and applicable legislation.
- Prepare draft submissions on behalf of OPTrust in response to provincial and federal government consultations.
- Provide advice and technical support to our internal Legal department and / or external legal counsel to resolve legal disputes, challenges and actions against OPTrust.
- University degree in business, law or a related field
- PPAC and/or CEBS designations preferred
- Minimum of 8 years experience working in a pension policy environment
- Extensive knowledge of applicable provincial and federal legislation, including but not limited to the Income Tax Act, Pension Benefits Act, Family Law Act, Employment Standards Act, Substitute Decisions Act, Succession Law Reform Act, Electronic Commerce Act and Workplace Safety & Insurance Act.
- Ability to analyze and conduct extensive research related in the development of policies and guidelinesProven research, analytical skills and ability to investigate pension issues, analyze findings to develop appropriate recommendations and/or solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience in preparing research papers, policy reports and directives, and various communication materials for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience presenting complex research analysis, policy reports and interpretations in simple language.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of research techniques and methods.
- Excellent interpersonal, and ability to work with all levels of the organization and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines in a demanding environment.
- Strong ability to build trusted relationships.
Please submit your application via LinkedIn If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.