OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $22 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan (including OPTrust Select), a defined benefit plan with over 96,000 members. OPTrust was established to give plan members and the Government of Ontario an equal voice in the administration of the Plan and the investment of its assets through joint trusteeship. OPTrust is governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees, five of whom are appointed by OPSEU and five by the Government of Ontario.
Team Leader / Senior Financial Analyst
Finance, Alternative Investments
Posting Date: October 6, 2020
The Team Leader/Senior Financial Analyst, Alternative Investment Finance will provide senior level analytical skills by providing financial expertise and accounting services in financial analysis and reporting for alternative investments for the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust. The position will play a key role in supporting the Finance Manager, Alternative Investments in the oversight of the investment portfolios.
This role is responsible for leading, coaching and providing direction to other members of the Finance Alternative Investment team, in the operational aspects of their roles, as well as on departmental initiatives and projects.
- Takes a lead role in the preparation of annual financial statements for private markets subsidiaries, including notes thereto, ensuring appropriate CICA disclosure requirements and any disclosure necessary in conjunction with the Pension Benefits Act.
- Provides leadership and guidance to other junior staff within the Alternative Investment Finance team.
- Performs financial and accounting functions to ensure that all operational requirements are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develops, prepares and reviews internal and external financial reports and presentations for alternative investments.
- Prepares written, graphical and quantitative analysis including all financial statements and management reporting to support the alternative investment portfolio.
- Uses and maintains query and reporting tools to automate analysis and reporting processes, and to access information from Yardi, Oracle Financials, Eagle PACE, and other systems.
- Investigates and follows up on any discrepancies, unusual results or missing information with internal and external contacts.
- Performs investment analysis to assess the valuations of alternative investments and coordinates and executes the valuation process with various investment groups.
- Ensures that the alternative investments are compliant with OPTrust’s policies in respect of tax and regulatory matters.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of legislation and regulations pertaining to tax.
- Monitors the ongoing development and maintenance of the various systems to ensure efficient processing of transactions within controlled environments.
- Develops, implements and maintains financial policies, standards and guidelines, and related procedures for alternative investments.
- Performs other financial functions and project work, as assigned.
The position is specifically responsible for gaining an in-depth knowledge of the following:
- Accounting requirements, recommendations and guidelines of the CICA and knowledge of various venture capital, private equity, real estate, hedge fund and derivative associations and their policies.
- Investment-related requirements, recommendations and guidelines of the CICA, FSCO, Income Tax Act, various investment regulatory authorities, various venture capital, private equity, hedge fund and derivative associations, etc.
- Generally accepted accounting principles of Canada, U.S. and other countries, as required.
- Methods of investment performance measurement and valuation approaches and techniques.
- Custodial and fund accounting and reporting.
- Accounting policies and key practices of other organizations for use in valuation, benchmarking and performance management and to assist in drafting various sections of the Annual Report and audited Financial Statements.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant investment finance/accounting and specific work experience at a managerial or senior analyst level with alternative investments (private equity, real estate and/or venture capital).
- Recognized Canadian accounting designation or equivalent (CPA, CFA, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of current accounting standards and pension accounting rules.
- Demonstrated experience with investment accounting practices, financial and management reporting, operations and audit practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to deal with internal and external business partners.
- Proven track record of value-added customer service and problem resolution through initiative and creativity.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Strong MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) skills.
- Experience with investment accounting systems (Yardi, Investran or etc.).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Works well independently and in a team environment.
Please submit your application file, including a CV and cover letter, by October 31, 2020, via LinkedIn. If you are unable to apply via LinkedIn, you may submit your application by emailing the People department at email@example.com. We kindly ask that you apply using only one of these methods.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.