With net assets of over $25 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada’s largest pension funds. OPTrust is a global investor with a team of experienced investment professionals located in Toronto, London and Sydney.
OPTrust’s investment mandate focuses on achieving the organization’s mission to pay pensions today and preserve pensions for tomorrow. We are a pension management organization. Our members depend on us to provide secure, predictable income in retirement. Our investment strategy is aligned with our members’ interests and seeks to deliver the returns we need to keep the Plan fully funded at the lowest level of risk.
Despite higher than normal growth, interest rate and inflation risks, 2021 proved generally favourable for investment risk taking. Equities in developed markets did exceptionally well, while emerging markets were flat. Bond values declined drastically as yields increased. This again highlighted the benefit of a diversified portfolio, through which we actively participated in the growth recovery while managing downside risk.
In 2021, OPTrust achieved a net investment return of 15.3% and the Plan retained its fully funded status despite a decline in the nominal discount rate from 5.0% in 2020 to 4.85% in 2021.
- More information on OPTrust's investment beliefs.
- More information on OPTrust’s strategy and results is available in our 2021 Funded Status Report.
- More information about OPTrust’s responsible investing program and approach can be found in our 2020 Responsible Investing Report.
- More information on OPTrust's investment policies is also available in our Statement of Investment Policies and Procedures.
- OPTrust Trade Matching Statement