OPTrust Launches New Plan Expansion Offering – OPTrust SelectPosted: April 20, 2018
OPTrust Select marks the first new jointly sponsored, defined benefit (DB) product offering for modest income earners in a generation
TORONTO, April 20, 2018 – OPTrust, one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans today announced the launch of OPTrust Select, which will offer a secure retirement solution at a moderate cost for both employers and employees.
“Research shows that people with a defined benefit pension lead a more fulfilling retirement and in doing so, make greater economic contributions to their communities,” said Hugh O’Reilly, President and CEO of OPTrust. “OPTrust Select brings the advantages of our large scale and investment expertise to more Ontarians who otherwise wouldn’t have access to a DB plan and a secure retirement.”
OPTrust Select will provide members with a steady stream of secure, reliable retirement income and includes the following features:
- Members contribute 3% of earnings and employers match the contributions *see backgrounder for more information;
- An annual pension accrual rate of 0.6% of earnings;
- Earnings upgrades and cost of living increases, dependent on the Plan’s funded status and annual Board approval.
OPTrust Select is targeted to Ontario workplaces in the broader public sector, charitable and not-for-profit groups that do not have a workplace DB pension plan but may have a defined contribution (DC) plan, a group RRSP or no retirement savings arrangement at all.
OPTrust Select will also benefit the OPSEU Pension Plan by creating greater sustainability over the long term through the allocation of risk and operational costs over a broader membership base.
With net assets of over $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with over 92,000 members and retirees. OPTrust was established to give plan members and the Government of Ontario an equal voice in the administration of the Plan and the investment of its assets through joint trusteeship. OPTrust is governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees, five of whom are appointed by OPSEU and five by the Government of Ontario.
Manager, Public Affairs
- Membership is limited to workplaces in the broader public service (BPS) and Ontario not-for-profit sector
- Employers can participate in only one schedule of benefits at OPTrust
- Employees can participate in only one schedule of benefits at any given time
- Employers and employees participating in the pre-existing schedule of benefits of OPTrust are not eligible to join OPTrust Select.
For more information about OPTrust Select, please visit our Questions and Answers page.
Visit our OPTrust Media Page
For members of the media who want information on news releases, videos, briefing papers, speaker profiles, and media relations contacts.Explore >